I finally reached a point last weekend where I needed to just stay in, for two days straight, and tackle some of the piles of mess and unfinished projects that have been sitting around for far too long. It was a very cathartic weekend.
I started with cleaning my kitchen (I have a bad habit of letting dishes pile up), and my panini press that I use for a lot of my cooking. Then I tackled the fridge and freezer. The fridge in particular had a lot of past-due food in it that needed to be pitched. It is now looking rather barren! It’s just me and the cat, though, so we don’t need too much food.
With those successes motivating me, on Sunday I pulled out all of my crafting supplies from every box I could find and piled them all on my kitchen table. Sadly I didn’t think to take a photo, but suffice to say there was not enough room on the table for it all. It took the whole afternoon to go through, but I managed to toss a bit and put a bunch more aside for donation. All of my crafting tools (not including fabric, fibre or yarn) now fit into one fold-out box I inherited from my grandmother and a small divider box I keep with my sewing machine. There is still a small pile of mystery tools to go through, plus all the fabric, fibre and trimmings. The yarn has been well organized for awhile, although there is still too much of it!
I also managed to finish two projects that had been sitting around and just needed a few minutes of concentrated work to finish them off. The first was the Mother Bear I was knitting, which just needed a face:
Isn’t he cute? I’m going to hang on to him for awhile until I find a smaller box to ship him in, or until I knit another bear. There is no point in sending a half empty box when I’ll probably make another sometime soon.
The second project I finished had been at the back of my mind for over a year! Last winter, I ordered some conductive thread to embroider onto a pair of gloves, so that I can use my phone in the winter without taking my gloves off. For some reason it seemed like a really difficult task, but in the end it only took about a half an hour.
The end result is very subtle and works surprisingly well. I got the thread from conductivethread.ca since they are based in Canada, but you can get the same thing from Sparkfun or Adafruit easily. Make sure you get actual conductive thread since not all sparkly threads are conductive. All I did was embroider two tiny star-like dots on the thumb and pointer finger, making sure to go all the way through the layers as many times as possible to get good contact on both the finger and the screen. I also left the ends dangling inside the glove to improve contact. I’ve heard if you make the dot too small the screen won’t detect it but mine worked fine. I tested it on my way to campus this morning and it was fantastic! No more cold fingers for me. I’m so glad to have that done after a whole year of thinking about it. This month I’ve gotten through a few of these long-lingering projects and it is so satisfying.
For now, I think I’m done with trying to push through so many old projects. I’m going to tidy up the mess I started on the weekend, but otherwise I’m going to stick with seasonal projects and try to enjoy the holidays. In a couple of weeks I’ll be off to my parents’ home and I won’t be able to declutter until the New Year anyway!